Tried Daily Massage Week

There is immediate satisfaction when you compliment someone on their skin and list them under the radar product. But there is something that is deeply satisfying and intriguing when that person speaks eloquently, especially when it is free. When I looked at a makeup artist spending ten minutes rubbing a model's face on my first fashion shot, I felt exactly the same feeling. That moment of deliberate attention and care changed my idea of ​​“beautiful skin” permanently. What if smooth, thick skin was not the Sephora skin, but a practice that took time and energy?


There is no shortage of facial tools on the market, many of which I have tested and love. But this week, I wondered what would happen if it were just my facial muscles, some fat, and my hands. I had high hopes, but more than that, I was really looking forward to giving my skin the full attention of daily facial massage. Continue to learn about my changing experience of incorporating facial massage into my daily routine for a week.



What Is Face Massage?

Recent popularity in Western lands has led many skin care practitioners to seek face mastery, a centuries-old art in such lands as China, Mexico, and Sweden. Drs. Shari Auth describes facial mastery as a practice that lasted for centuries in Asia, further explaining that “these techniques are popular with Chinese nobility and are advertised for their anti-aging benefits.” Its modern fame comes in part from the face of Elaine Huntzinger who is on the Paris waiting list and Meghan Markle's relationship with the buccal way.


By definition, facial massage is a practice of ancient Chinese medicine aimed at promoting skin circulation by controlling and rubbing the skin on the face to remove the lymphatic system. David Peters, a physician in Chinese traditional medicine, explains that "the points and techniques used represent the combined information passed on from one generation to the next. Although people knew nothing about the lymphatic system, collagen matrix, or some other modern facial understanding — . ” Doctors say that with regular exercise, muscle memory can develop, and loose skin in areas such as the nasolabial folds and around the jaw can harden over time.


Many traditional face masks include facial massages, but companies such as Anastasia Gornon's All You Can Face and businessman and journalist Inge Theron's Face Gym preach that the same facial features can be achieved with consistent, directed practice — no Botox required.


Benefits of Facial Massage

  • Increase rotation
  • Improves elasticity and promotes collagen production, reducing fine lines and wrinkles1
  • It relieves facial muscle tension
  • It stimulates the lymphatic system2
  • It lifts the skin temporarily3

There are a number of reasons why taking the time to massage your face is good for your mental health, not just your skin. Studies have suggested that facial massage has a powerful effect on reducing stress, or relaxation.4 For other potential benefits, such as collagen production, I need some help from a psychologist.


“Collagen helps to reduce wrinkles,” explains Auth, “and elastin helps to strengthen and enhance the complexion.” This increased blood circulation also increases the body's ability to expel toxins from the body in order to produce a clearer complexion. ” All the good news, and up to my skin after the massage, I found that my makeup continued to be smooth, especially under my eyes.


Cecily Braden, a spa teacher, explained one of her favorite benefits of “relying on and using a small product. You can rely on your body for your skin's health. ” He also explained that the frequency of massage will be controlled according to my skin's routine, but starting with two treatments a week, three days apart. After studying for a week, I planned to schedule my massage on my calendar.


Hands vs. Tools

“While fashion accessories may evoke a comfortable or exciting experience when you use them, we all have the best and most effective facial tools we already have at home — that is, our hands,” says Gornon. It is almost impossible for me to scroll down on Instagram without seeing one of these riffs in the traditional gua sha (meaning "wipe out the illness") or a contraption-oriented ad that looks more abusive than reinforced.


"Using our hands while doing facial exercises or massage will not only give you the best results when it comes to lymphatic flow or improve blood circulation, but it also improves communication between you and the skin," Gornon explains further. “Touching and feeling your skin. will always improve their self-esteem. ” It's hard to argue with the power of human touch, especially when it costs $ 0.


It felt good to make time for my relaxation routine, set realistic expectations, and clear up conflicts from day to day. The results — total light and sharp jaw — sound like an added bonus.


How to Prepare for Facial Massage

Starting with a clean, oily canvas is the key to facial massage. Loosening your hair with a headband is not mandatory, but it enhances the feeling of spa instantly. Insufficient fat leads to dehydration, which can have detrimental effects. In theory, expected management is also important. Naturally, facial massage is a temporary fix. If you do not have the cheekbones of the '90s supermodel to start with, no pulling will expose you, so think of the practice as a time to connect with your skin and relieve tension. Keeping water close is wise, too.


The only other “tool” needed for the face oil is selected, keeping the fingers and toes flexed easily on the skin. Eden product expert Torri Myers recommends “2-3 drops of Mara's Universal Face Oil across the forehead or in the cheek.” I chose the oil I had, and finally added it with Face Gym's Detox Sign

What to Expect During Face Massage

Before I started massaging my face for a week, I kept a few Instagram Reels and referred to them in the morning after one too many tequila, but I had never considered the number of teachers dedicated to this craft. Surprisingly, I wanted to make up for the online 30 Face Gym online classes. I plugged in the Zoom link, oil on the left and water on my right, and turned off my camera as I rolled, lifted, and exited the air with glowing, enthusiastic trainers. As a gym class, we stretched, warmed up, went into cardio (cheeks, baby), and relaxed. One teacher reminded me that I had always “finished more than I had started” in my massage, which I immediately translated as metaphysical ethos. Another described the lymphatic system as “slow-moving” and needed to be revived.


At night when I could not really face the screen, I practiced gymnastics, set a timer on my phone and lit a candle in my bathroom. Learning more about how I deal with conflicts and how to soften those areas felt empowered and I wanted to take full care of myself. Rejuvenating my skin, bringing oxygen up, and all of that was great, but it was a waste of time off the screen, only for me, that I felt truly divine.


Another facial massage that I was happy to receive was focused on the inner person. "A facial massage not only helps you to know where the stress is, but it also gives you a chance to relieve it," Huntzinger explains. Teachers and teachers encouraged me to examine my body, to see if I could handle it and to focus on those areas.


Although I dream of a salon experience in the 3rd arrondissement, that is not really the purpose of this study. "In the same way that you have a daily cleansing and moisturizing routine, you should have a regular massage routine," explains Auth. I stick to the recommended ten minutes a day or Face Gym 2-4 times a week and save a lot of travel time.


Side effects

If you have recently had any type of injection, face experts recommend that you avoid that area during massage. Since I was not vaccinated, I adhered to all the videos and training I was eagerly receiving. Soon after my convulsions, a redness appeared, but it all subsided after 20 minutes with Mason's water jar. Other than that, I had no side effects.


Back care

Like exercise, Rome, and breaking bad habits, nothing is done in a day — the practice of facial massage has a growing effect. And just like working out, facial masks release endorphins, according to JE'DERM Skin Atelier's Judit Galambosi and Eliana Restrepo, both of whom recommend extra time after massage to stay in shape. This was hard for me, someone with two or three to-do lists at any given time, but a few minutes of 7-11 breaths did not hurt anyone.


Goron recommends ten minutes of daily facial massage, but understands that this may not always be possible. He observes: “It is so much more important to be consistent and to do just a few minutes each day than once in a long time,” he observes. I have chosen ten minutes after my night skin care procedure. I light a candle, close a podcast episode, and work to reverse some of the daytime stress before bed.